Cheers Cheers, poem July 16, 2023

I was watching YouTube today, and I was inspired by the guy in NYC who asks people to sing with him while he plays guitar and his camera crew records. This dude from Detroit was featured. He was 45 and a rapper back in the day. He chose to rap Biggie Smalls-- his feature song "Mo Money Mo Problems". The guy who was stopped then did some bars that was inspiring. He had a chill vibe with his flow, and he did not have any profanity. It was cool. So, I looked him up on YouTube to see if he got back into anything since his NYC street-feature dropped. Low and behold, he had posted a video. This all has taken place with 2 weeks mind you. Well, this video is full of cursing and bravado, and his flow was nothing like the chill dude on the street. As a result, I deleted it from my history and kept it moving.

Even still, I was yet moved to write something today. Yesterday I posted my Saturday poetry post. I have been posting a poem every Saturday with a cold read for a few months now. I have tons of poems. The process consists of me just flipping through and grabbing one. I then record and read and post. Maybe one day I will clean it all up and make it look like a real YouTube Channel with clean dressed up content and audio. But for now... meh!

So, I am posting now to get this throwback poem out my head. I only have two word so far...  People and Equal... Ha! So hear I go... Reminiscing on the past as I reflect on this Sunday's choices.

CHEERS CHEERS

Can't remember what it was like to choose freely

absence-minded haphazard and easy

flowing through the ins and outs of the day just as aimless anyway

aimless adrift as if

as if

didn't think it an offensive thing to hang with all sorts of people

it was the depression, mood swings and the weed that made us all equal

late late into the night and never at risk it was all bliss

the innocence of recklessness and restless idle selflessness

we shared everything, man

pass the gin and juice and step over the spit-out sunflower seeds

knee deep on the carpet next to the 12 string

You had your beers; I had my gin, you had your bong; we had our friends

we made amends over Rodney King and OJ and Reagan, Bush and Slick Willie

but did we really?

Nowadays, I have found Jesus and the Holy Spirit. 

I called ya'll up last year 

because a storm blew through the Midwest dearest 

and I thought of ya'll the most

Turns out not much had changed in Iowa

Still got your bong

and our friend still got his buzz

cause Jesus I guess don't come fetch all of us

Small towns like small cars only hold so much fuel

but now wide awake to reality I miss the unconscious rules

live and let live and laugh and self medicate

We never really knew our ache

just placated just to relate

puff puff pass

tip that glass

slam that beer

cheers

cheers

And yet I don't know why HE chose me

Straight up unworthy 

just like the rest

but best believe I'm grateful for this but don't forget

I pray for them boys

remember them boys

I remember them boys




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forget that STAR method

Window Panes

Putting on Packing On