I've Changed My Mind

Written around 2007

Never Published*


I've changed my mind about living life to the fullest

about dire straits and gasoline cost and being the coolest

about cheesecake for breakfast and marriage and bling

about leaving tips and one-horse towns and circus rings

I've change my mind about politics, Mickey Mouse and Earl Grey Tea

about what goes up must come down and you getting the best of me


I've changed my mind about crapes and lemons and eagle's rights

McCain and Obama and about leaving the lights on during the night

about higher education and college fees

about getting rid of all those ticks and momma's backyard fleas

about driving cross country and catching the game

about seeing my old high school sweetheart and reigniting the flame


I've changed my mind about war crimes and poverty

about breast-feeding and comfortable shoes and equality

dogs looking like their owners and underground tunnels built in Manhattan

people who find themselves loners, and about General Patton

I have changed my mind about toothpaste and oil for food

about apartheid and enslavement and sagging pants and being rude


I've changed my mind about giving babies beer

about doing the stadium wave and firecrackers exploding in my ear

about what it means to be a republic or a democracy

I've changed my mind about what's good for a goose, gander or geese

about social programs and world disasters

about peace and war and what to do with what exactly matters


I've changed my mind about the one bullet theory that is behind us,

The Black Panther Party, the KKK and Don Imus

about sports figures who ridicule those who play chess

about the mother finch who on my porch has built her nest

I have changed my mind about taking pills and soap scum

about people ceasing to learn and choosing to remain dumb


I've change my mind about clean water and conservation

about insect spray, infestations and starvation

about greed and want and love and lust

about you and me and both of us

I've changed my mind and change it still

It seems it never was for real

about anything it set upon and once upon a time was still

and still I change with attrition, force or will

my mind it changes changes still

 



Comments

  1. Ruth Negga, Irish-Ethiopian actress: "People make assumptions about me. I am territorial about my identity because it’s been hijacked by so many people, with their own projections. I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t change their mind."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie! What a great quote. Ruth Negga rocks and all those who grow.
      Blessings!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forget that STAR method

Window Panes

Putting on Packing On