Move Even Without The Complete Funding: TBC

CashApp and Venmo have been established. My PayPal got set up yesterday. Aside from WorldRemit and a Fidelity Cash Management Account, I am close to finishing my financial toolkit for world travel. World Remit and Fidelity offer no fee accounts for international transactions.

Now I have no idea when I will be leaving mind you, but if you dig a ditch, something is bound to land in it sooner or later. That is exciting news for me anyway. I look forward to these trips. I don't dream about them. I don't see them as I daydream. I don't have visions of far away places. I just look forward to getting on with it. I have no money mind you. I just have accounts set up.

Present discoveries about my disposition are unearthing clear and evident needs to leave the city and go "elsewheres." My sister will ask, "Where do you want to go?" My respond in the past would be, "Away."Anywhere but where I was currently was the goal. I would also sometimes reply, "Where the mango grow." I heard this from someone else and that it appropriately described my would be destination allowed me to co-op the phrase for myself.

I have left one place for another with very little money before, but that was when I was way too young to understand what exactly I was getting myself into. I flew to New York to try to make a transition with no money at all. I stayed with my aunt and her family trying to get a job until I decided to return to College because nothing manifested. This was my Sophomore year. I was 19 years old.

At 21 I left for Iowa for graduate school with maybe 150.00 dollars in savings after pre-paying for the duplex I would be renting out at 750.00 a month. Luckily I had a fellowship that would cover the cost of housing and food. I still didn't recognize how fortunate I was. My College professor had accepted a job at Iowa and allowed me to pack my stuff with hers as well traveled the 16 hours from Austin to Iowa City. She was quite gracious. I am more thankful now in hindsight for her generosity.

Money was always tight, but I had managed to move from Waco to Austin and then Austin to Iowa City without much fretting or worry. Getting to Austin just required me throwing my few belongs on the back of my friend Yvonne's brother's pick-up truck and riding in the bed of it for 2 hours to Austin as Vonne and I set off to fulfill our dream of playing college ball. Without Yvonne and her family, I have no idea how I would have gotten to Austin.

Mind you, my parents had no money and sent no money during my 4 years of college. I made it on work-study and Summer jobs. Once my father sent me 80.00 in food stamps. My mother never sent anything, bless her heart. They just didn't have the means, really. They had divorced by then and Daddy could not get a decent job because of his 2 back surgeries. Mom was living hand to mouth as a CNA. It was really my sister and I who took as much financial responsibility for each other as we could. She held a job since age 16 either fast food, sales or movie theater management.

I moved from Iowa back to Waco with maybe a few hundred dollars, but finding a job in media proved impossible in such a racist city as Waco, Texas. Additionally, I had no roadmap as to how to go about "adulting" with all that I had acquired in life and college. I knew nothing of the politics of life. With all that had happened, I had not been showed how to actually enter the real life of relationship-based employment.

So, what did I do? I drove across the country to New York City and moved to Java Street in Greenpoint, Brooklyn with a friend I met in Graduate School. He said I could stay there until I got on my feet. I had driven there in a car given to me by Tabatha and Ben Lonske-Yeatts at the end of my time in Iowa City. Tab and I were in the same grad program and entered at the same time. I traded a 66 key keyboard and 300.00 for this car. I was a 1982 4 door Chevy Caprice.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forget that STAR method

Window Panes

Putting on Packing On