In Other News: The Nextdoor site

For several weeks there have been complaining neighbors (usually about noise pollution of one sort or the other) on the Nextdoor site that probably has inundated all communities across the US. I read a bit from this site from time to time. One lady posts recipes everyday. Dogs and cats are always lost and recovered or found and taken to the vet. Updates are given on the state of the road demolitions and the role of the city regarding easements and mowing.

Sob stories of stolen items lifted in broad daylight from open garage doors and questions about the best dentist in town recommendations pop up. Sightings of roaming dogs and strange lurkers checking car doors are posted with video from the ring app. Houses and clothes and other items for sale litter the feed. 

These posts about loud noises lasting for many minutes or the booming of cars with bass speakers rattling windows intrigue me. The speculations are wild, but usually someone will repeat the oft correct source of the loud noise: Space X. And others are forming committees to try to combat the boom boom boom from car speakers.

I don't know how many times this question about The Loud Rumbling Sound is asked, but by now at least 50 percent of the people on the app should be both inoculated with the vaccine and know it is Space X testing equipment between 7pm and 9pm at night creating there disturbance without a care for people trying to get to sleep. To be sure, Space X is in McGregor about 20 miles west of town, so I get the confusion.

There are many folks who post their pictures of themselves as members of this site, self identifying. I go by a pseudonym and I have no pic. I ain't gone tell ya and I ain't gone show ya. I never post on this sight. I lurk. I don't post much anywhere, but perhaps the occasional comment to a Youtube post. I don't have Facebook, Twitter, Snap app, IG, TikTok, or anything else that social media offers. I do have Linkedin and Neighbor.

One can learn a lot about folks in your town when going down the posts from this site. I am still asking, "Where the black folk and why don't they post much?" (We need a Black Neighbor like Black Twitter here in the Co) My sister will post because she is a pet advocate and a social butterfly. I saw another Trump supporting black woman on neighbor from the local megachurch. At least those two offer diverse views.

Through this app, I was alerted that my Neighborhood Association is meeting this week. The first and last time I attended one of these meetings the main topic of discussion was trying to re-home a lost black lab. Then they voted for leadership positions before collecting the 20.00 fee to join. I am not sure they had snacks, but I recall adjourning early.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forget that STAR method

Window Panes

Putting on Packing On