Short Story Beginning: To Be Continued

Spoons and Forks and knives and straws and little toothpicks with umbrellas were splattered about on the table. Somewhere among the items was a used ice cream scoop, but no sign of ice cream anywhere. There was a half eaten loaf of bread and a crumb of cheese. It looked like Swiss.

Cranberries from those Ocean Spray bags had spilled to the floor. Summer Sausage was sliced nicely on a platter. The crackers were still in their box. Foot prints in flour from the two little dogs lead to the open door of the patio. I could hear music from the sounds of Motown in the otherwise still air.

As I stepped onto the patio I noticed a bag that had been dropped with items spilling out from it. I looked about the property and still no one was anywhere around. There was no party planned that I was aware of. I had only dropped by to check on my friend because I had not heard from her in a while.

The door was ajar when I arrived, so I let myself in thinking perhaps she may have been on her way out and would be about in the living area. That was not the case at all. Everything was still. The little dogs were no where to be found. I began to get this eerie feeling that something was terribly wrong.

Turning back to the living area I noticed a large full mirror. It was ornate. I don't recall seeing this mirror before. She must have recently acquired it. Suddenly a fluffy white cat walked passed the mirror. I only saw its reflection. I moved toward the mirror to look for this cat, but the cat was nowhere to be found. But it must be here.

I move toward the mirror and walked pass it. There is no reflection of myself. I see no reflection. Turning to head toward the front sitting room, I trip over a small item. It is a ring case. The Black ring case that was open was missing the ring. I don't pick it up. I move toward the front door. Sweat begins to gather on my head. I move toward the door. My hands begin to shake. I move toward the door.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forget that STAR method

Window Panes

Putting on Packing On